It is getting closer, only 8 more days. So in a week you may be making the cranberries, or cranberry salsa or pie or just chopping and prepping to go through Thanksgiving a bit easier.
Now I would love to take credit for my green bean casserole recipe but reality is I based it on a recipe from Guy Fieri, I love it for it is homemade gravy and none of that cream of mushroom stuff…
Is the link to the recipe, I will note that I didn’t do an assortment of mushroom I stuck with plain old button mushrooms and then I added in a bit of goat cheese for a tang as well. And now that I look at his recipe I did a lot of things differently since I kinda just made it up as I went.
So I use:
- Green beans (2 bags in the “steam” bags)
- Seasonings- salt, pepper
- Button Mushrooms/White Mushrooms
- Goat Cheese
- Corn Starch
- I start by cooking the bacon and setting it aside. In a pan melt the butter and sauté the sliced mushrooms.
- Season the mushrooms with some garlic, salt and pepper.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked down add about ½ to 1 cup of cream depending on how much you are making. Stir the mixture while the cream heats up.
- Here is my cheater step: since I buy the green beans that can steam in the bag I cook my beans in the microwave cause I find the whole boiling blanching thing takes up too much room for the small kitchen I work in. I cook both bags at the same time for about 4 minutes we keep them crisp.
- Once the cream is warm add in a small container of crumbled goat cheese (8 oz)
- After the goat cheese is melted if it is not thick enough add a roux of water and corn starch. Once you get the thickness you desire stir in the bacon, and green beans and top with fried shallots.
fried shallots slice the shallots before beginning cooking and let them soak in some cream. After you are done cooking coat the shallots with a mixture of flour, salt, pepper and a bit of cornstarch and fry in vegetable oil until golden brown. Or you can buy the french’s kind to save time and stove space.
Do you have your menu planned yet. I have 3 recipes to share: A pumpkin pie, a pecan pie and mashed potatoes!